Monday, December 13, 2010

Little tree

I have been obsessed with the Cocoon Couture tree for about a year now. Of course, my taste never matches my wallet so the $399 tree (I'm not kidding) has remained in the shop for a long time. As usual, I'll give anything a go so after much research I decided to make my own.







First stop to Bunnings to buy a sheet of plywood 1m x 1.5m in dimensions. This cost about $27. Then to Spotlight to buy some scrapbooking paper which was $9.95. Back to Bunnings for the clear lacquer spray at $6 then a quick trip to a dubious but optimistic (probably already had the ambulance ready to go) family member to borrow a jigsaw. All set!

So while my husband thought I'd bitten of more than I could chew, I set to work in the garage. Using a jigsaw is definitely harder than I thought, and noisier and messier, but 20 minutes later the cutting was done.

Then all I had to do was spray lacquer on the tree, cut out random leaf shapes, glue on some paper, cut around the edge and screw them to the tree. I then glued on some wooden knobs so my little girl can hang her hats on her tree. Done! And since I saved about $355, does that mean I can go shopping now?

1 comment: